Schedule A TourPrivate Tours
Tours of Hotel Henry
Hotel Henry offers complimentary tours of the redeveloped spaces at the Richardson to visitors and explorers year-round. Inquire at the 2nd floor Front Desk for more information.
Private Historical Tours for Groups
Can’t fit a public tour into your schedule or just looking for an exclusive tour experience with your own friends and family or group? May through September, we can accommodate up to 15 guests for a private Welcome Tour or a two-hour In Depth Tour of the past, present, and future of the Richardson Olmsted Campus.
Led by an expert docent, visitors will gain access to spaces untouched since the 1970s. During the tour, visitors will experience the site's original structures as well as the healing landscape designed to serve as a therapeutic environment for patients. Visitors will also learn about the philosophies integrated into the 145-year-old former state hospital facility by architect Henry Hobson Richardson, landscape architects Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, and mental health advocate Dr. Thomas Kirkbride.
The Richardson Olmsted Campus is one of the largest historic preservation projects in the nation, with Hotel Henry and the Buffalo Architecture Center opening in the three center buildings. Tours of the site offer access to untouched spaces as well as a unique perspective on sections of the Richardson which have already been adaptively reused.
Note: Due to the untouched nature of the historic buildings, tours are not wheelchair accessible and require significant walking and climbing of stairs. Hard hats will be provided and sturdy, closed-toed shoes are required. Tour routes will vary.
Tour Options and Cost:
- Private Welcome (1-hour) Tour: $350 flat rate
- Private In Depth (2-hour) Tour: $700 flate rate
Payment for tour admission is due at least one week prior to the tour.
- Maximum tour capacity is 20 people.
- Minimum of 5 people per tour to ensure that we meet guest and guide expectations.
- Tours are available May through September.
- For your safety, sturdy, closed-toe shoes are required. We reserve the right to turn away anyone without appropriate shoes. Under no condition will sandals or high heels be allowed.
- Photography is not allowed on private tours. For those interested in taking photographs, please see our designated public photography tours.
- All Richardson Olmsted Campus tours are for ages 16 and up at this time.
To arrange your private tour, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Phone number
- Organization or group name (if applicable)
- Expected number of attendees
- Description of your group's interest in the tour
- Potential dates and times for your tour
Please note that private tours require at minimum 10 days' notice to plan. Please contact us as soon as you can to guarantee your tour date.