See Tour ScheduleFridays on Forest
Length: 2 hours (1 hour at the Resource Center and 1 hour at the Richardson)
Buildings Accessed: 2-3
Spend your Friday on Forest Avenue exploring the Buffalo History Museum Resource Center and the Richardson Olmsted Campus! The second Friday of each month, May through October, the Buffalo History Museum and the Richardson welcome the curious and the intrepid for this special joint tour.
At your first stop, experience the Pan-American Exposition of 1901 at the Buffalo History Museum Resource Center. Experts from the museum will welcome you to a special exhibit about the Pan-Am.
Next up, cross Forest Avenue to explore the Richardson Olmsted Campus! Led by an expert docent, visitors will experience spaces untouched since the 1970s, learning more about the past, present, and future of this stunning National Historic Landmark.
After the tour, visitors are encouraged to enjoy a tasty treat at 100 Acres: The Kitchens at Hotel Henry, explore Elmwood Village, or stop by the Burchfield Penney Art Center for their special M&T Bank Second Friday extended hours.
Enjoy 2nd Fridays on Forest a unique evening of exploration presented by the Buffalo History Museum and the Richardson Olmsted Campus.
Please Note: This special program includes a historical tour of abandoned buildings yet to be redeveloped by the Richardson. This is not a tour of Hotel Henry. For information about seeing the hotel, stop by the Front Desk or call 716-882-1970.
What to Expect of your Richardson Olmsted Campus Tour:
- Ages 16 and up. (Join our mailing list to be notified of youth programming in future seasons.)
- For your safety, sturdy, closed-toe shoes are required. We reserve the right to turn away anyone without appropriate shoes. Under no condition will sandals or high heels be allowed.
- Photography is not allowed inside the historical buildings on this tour. For those interested in taking photographs, please check out our photography tours.
- Hard hats will be provided. It is imperative that you stay with the tour group in the designated areas – there are very unsafe areas within the Richardson.
- This tour requires the ability to walk for the full duration of the tour as well as climb multiple flights of stairs.
- Prepare to get a little dusty during your time on-site. If you’re concerned about having an adverse reaction to the dust because of asthma or allergies, we recommend bringing a face mask or scarf.
- You are strongly encouraged to bring bottled water as it can get warm inside the building in the summer.
- Please bring flashlights if possible!
- Tours are rain or shine.
Upcoming Tour Dates
Friday, September 13, 2019, 5:30–7:30 pm | Tour
Pre-registration required. Spend your Friday on Forest Avenue exploring the Buffalo History Museum's Resource Center and the Richardson Olmsted Campus!