In Depth Tour
Length: 1.5-2 hours
Untouched Buildings Accessed: 2
Dive deep into the rich past of the Richardson Olmsted Campus on this two-hour guided tour of unoccupied buildings. Led by an expert docent, visitors will gain access to spaces untouched since the 1970s and not featured on the one-hour tour.
Visitors will be immersed into the philosophies integrated into the Richardson by architect Henry Hobson Richardson, landscape architects Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, and mental health advocate Dr. Thomas Kirkbride.
During the tour, visitors will experience some of the site’s original structures as well as the healing landscape designed to serve as a therapeutic environment for patients.
Please Note: This is a historical tour of abandoned buildings yet to be redeveloped by the Richardson. This is not a tour of Hotel Henry. For information about seeing the hotel, stop by the Front Desk or call 716-882-1970.
- Ages 16 and up.
- For your safety, sturdy, closed-toe shoes are required. We reserve the right to turn away anyone without appropriate shoes. - Under no condition will sandals or high heels be allowed.
- Photography is not allowed inside the historical buildings on this tour. For those interested in taking photographs, please check out our photography tours.
- Hard hats will be provided. It is imperative that you stay with the tour group in the designated areas there are very unsafe areas within the Richardson.
- This tour requires the ability to walk for the full duration of the tour as well as climb stairs.
- Prepare to get a little dusty during your time on-site. If youre concerned about having an adverse reaction to the dust because of asthma or allergies, we recommend bringing a face mask or scarf.
- You are strongly encouraged to bring bottled water as it can get warm inside the building in the summer.
- Tours are rain or shine.