Join us for an exclusive opportunity to capture the interior spaces of the iconic Richardson Olmsted Campus, a National Historic Landmark. The 145-year-old former state hospital facility consists of purpose-built structures and a healing landscape that created a therapeutic environment then considered the most progressive treatment available for mental illness.
Photographers will be paired with an experienced docent to guide them through a collection of spaces in various states of renovation and disrepair. Your guide can also provide context on the history and future of the Richardson as you explore the site.
In 2018, tickets will be released in two batches. Tickets for Photography Tours in May and June will be released in April. Tickets for Photography Tours in August and September will be released in July. Join our e-list to receive first notice when tickets become available.
- Ages 16 and up. (Join our mailing list to be notified of youth programming in future seasons.)
- Photography is for personal use only and the signing of a contract is required to participate in the tour to ensure that photographs will not be used for commercial purposes.
- Hard hats will be provided. It is imperative that you stay with the tour group in the designated areas – there are very unsafe areas within the Richardson.
- For your safety, sturdy, closed-toe shoes are required. We reserve the right to turn away anyone without appropriate shoes. Under no condition will sandals or high heels be allowed.
- You are strongly encouraged to bring bottled water as it can get warm inside the building in the summer.
- Please bring flashlights if possible!
- This tour requires the ability to walk for the full duration of the tour as well as climb multiple flights of stairs. Guides can accommodate interests and abilities of each photographer. Available areas may vary.
- Portable photographic equipment, such as tripods, is allowed. Please do not bring unwieldy equipment you cannot personally carry.
- Tours are rain or shine.