Join us for an exclusive opportunity to capture the interior spaces of the iconic Richardson Olmsted Complex, a National Historic Landmark. The 140-year-old former state hospital facility consists of purpose-built structures and a healing landscape that created a therapeutic environment then considered the most progressive treatment available for mental illness.
Photographers will be paired with an experienced docent to guide them through a collection of spaces in various states of renovation and disrepair. An additional building unavailable on previous Photography Tours will be made available to photographers in 2017. Your guide can also provide context on the history and future of the Complex as you explore the site.
The Richardson Olmsted Complex is one of the largest historic preservation projects in the nation, with Hotel Henry and the Buffalo Architecture Center opening in the three center buildings in 2017. Docents will lead visitors through spaces untouched since the 1970s and give an orientation on sections of the Complex which have already been adaptively reused.
Pre-Registration is required.
- Ages 12 and up. (Join our mailing list to be notified of youth programming in future seasons.)
- Photography is for personal use only and the signing of a contract is required to participate in the tour to ensure that photographs will not be used for commercial purposes.
- Hard hats will be provided. It is imperative that you stay with the tour group in the designated areas – there are very unsafe areas within the Complex.
- For your safety, sturdy, closed-toe shoes are required. We reserve the right to turn away anyone without appropriate shoes. Under no condition will sandals or high heels be allowed.
- You are strongly encouraged to bring bottled water as it can get warm inside the building in the summer.
- Please bring flashlights if possible!
- This tour requires the ability to walk for the full duration of the tour as well as climb multiple flights of stairs. Guides can accommodate interests and abilities of each photographer. Available areas may vary.
- Portable photographic equipment, such as tripods, is allowed. Please do not bring unwieldy equipment you cannot personally carry.
- Tours are rain or shine.